News from Planned Parenthood

Affordable Birth Control Restored

Planned Parenthood Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota (PPMNS) today applauded the passage of legislation to make birth control affordable again for millions of women who obtain contraceptives at community health centers and college clinics. The provision was included in the 2009 omnibus appropriations bill that passed the U.S. Senate late yesterday and the House of Representatives two weeks ago.

In 2005, Congress passed the Deficit Reduction Act, which tightened eligibility for nominally priced drugs. In doing so, Congress inadvertently cut off safety-net providers and every college and university health center from obtaining contraception at a low cost, and passing on those savings to their patients. As a result, women have been paying up to 10 times more each month for basic contraception.

Planned Parenthood began anationwide grassroots campaign to restore affordable birth control in 2007, carrying the message of affordable birth control to members of Congress in an effort to raise awareness about the need for a common sense fix for women and families.

President Barack Obama has been a strong supporter of this commonsense fix; as a senator, he sponsored legislation to restore access to affordable birth control.

Please take just a few moments to thank Senator Tim Johnson and Representative Stephanie Herseth Sandlin for their support of making birth control affordable once again.

Advertisements

Videos Showing Planned Parenthood Abortion Abuse Led to De-Funding, More Soon

by Steven Ertelt
LifeNews.com Editor
March 16, 2009

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) — Videos taken by college students showing abuses at Planned Parenthood resulted in a decision last week by the Orange County Board of Supervisors in California to cut funding of the abortion business. Two more videos are on the way from the group behind them.

The board took a unanimous vote at a meeting on Tuesday night after receiving calls and emails from pro-life advocates opposed to the $292,000 contract.

Videos produced by Live Action Films were used to help strip Planned Parenthood of the funding. The videos, repeatedly profiled on LifeNews.com, have shown Planned Parenthood employees ignoring the sexual abuse of minors, which mandatory reporting laws require them to report.

Mark Bucher, a local resident and board member of the Family Action PAC, saw the videos and decided to find out if Orange County gave taxpayer dollars to Planned Parenthood.

Bucher sent one of the undercover videos to every Orange County Supervisor and they took action in response.

“The distribution of public funds to Planned Parenthood through the Orange County Health Care Agency appeared to be a deliberate cover-up since it was nearly impossible to detect where the money was going from the County to several different health clinics,” Butcher told LifeNews.com Monday. “After watching the undercover videos from Live Action, it became clear to me that Planned Parenthood has a lot to hide.”

“Regardless of one’s position on abortion, Planned Parenthood should not receive public funding because of their willingness to deliberately cover up sexual molestation and abuse. This ‘non-profit’ had a $115 million surplus last year, and certainly doesn’t need a bailout from our community,” he continued.

Lila Rose, president of Live Action, is the UCLA student who went undercover in the videos to expose Planned Parenthood.

She tells LifeNews.com that more videos are on the way, as early as Tuesday.

“The undercover footage from the Mona Lisa Project continues to reveal a disturbing pattern in which Planned Parenthood repeatedly covers up the sexual abuse of minors,” said Rose.

“Planned Parenthood needs to be held accountable and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for harming young girls. It is my hope that others like Mark will investigate Parenthood in their local communities, and put a stop to the public funding,” she added.

To view the undercover footage from the Mona Lisa Project, visit http://www.liveaction.org